Thursday, October 7, 2010

Uganda Basics

Full name: Republic of Uganda
Population: 32.7 million (UN, 2009) - similar to the population of Texas and Virginia combined
Area: 241,038 sq km (93,072 sq miles - More than twice the size of Ohio)
Major languages: English (official), Swahili (official), Luganda, various Bantu and Nilotic languages
Major religions: Christianity (majority), Islam
Life expectancy: 52 years (men), 53 years (women) (UN) - vs an average 78.4 years in the US
Monetary unit: 1 Ugandan shilling = 0.0004 US Dollars
Main exports: Coffee, fish and fish products, tea; tobacco, cotton, corn, beans, sesame
GNI per capita: US $420 (World Bank, 2008) - Compared to US GNI: $48,430

I tried to compare everything to something familiar to us. Sometimes it's hard to see a bunch of numbers and get any sort of impression.


And most importantly: here's where it is:













I'll be volunteering some 13 km outside of Kampala, the capital of Uganda:













I promise my next post will be more insightful and I'll talk more about my volunteering! I'm going to try to post every other day-ish.

Thanks for all of your support!

Lucy

No comments:

Post a Comment